- 500 gram mutton with bones
- 4 large onions(2 onions cut lengthwise used for tempering and 2 cut in cubes for masala paste)
- 12-15 garlic clove
- 3 tej patta
- 7-8 dried red chillies (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes before using it for making paste)
- 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds (dhaniya seeds)
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera seeds)
- 1 tbsp dried black stone flower (dagad flower)
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns (kali miri)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (khas-khas)
- 1 inch cinammon stick (dal-chini)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 6 cloves (laung)
- 1/4 tbsp mace (javitri)
- 1/2 inch turmeric root/powder
- Mustard oil as required(You can even use any oil as per your taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) (for tempering)
- Grind onion cubes, coriander seeds, red chillies, garlic, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, turmeric root, mace, cinammin stick, black cardamom, star anise, dried lichen, black peppercorn and poppy seeds into a fine paste using bit water.
- Heat 5 tbsp oil in a large pan.
- Add bay leaf to the pan and fry them till they become brown.
- When bay leaf turns brown add cumin seeds, onion (cut lengthwise) and fry them until onions becomes brown.
- Then add mutton pieces and mix them well.
- Remember to stir the pieces after every few minutes.
- Cook mutton pieces covered until the water (from mutton) dries completely.
- Roast mutton for 20 minutes on low flame.
- Now add masala paste to the pan and cook it until the oil seperates out it will take approx. 10 minutes.
- Now add salt as per taste.
- Add 3 cups of hot water for gravy.
- We can increase or decrease the water content to adjust the consistency of gravy.
- Now cook the mutton covered until it is completely cook it will take approx. 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in small pan and then add 1 tbsp cumin seeds to it.
- Now pour this tempering on mutton gravy and cover the lid immediately.
- Cover the mutton curry for 15 minute on low-medium flame.
Serve with steamed rice and raw onions.
Khud Khao, Sabko Khilao 😀