- 1 cup Black Gram seeds(Kali Urad dal)(whole)
- 1/2 cup Oil ( preferably mustard oil)
- 4 to 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3 cups Water
- 4 Black pepper (corns)
- 4 to 5 Red chillies whole
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp Dry coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Place an frying pan (kadhai) on a moderate flame.
- Put Sabut Urad (black gram) in it and dry roast it for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the pleasant aroma of roasted seeds comes. Do not over cook it.
- Take it off the flame.
- Grind the roasted seeds into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the Kadhai and add garlic cloves.
- When the garlic turns light brown, add cumin seeds, red chillies, black pepper and hing (asafoetida) to it.
- Immediately add the daal powder and fry it for 1-2 minute or so.
- Add turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and Cook till the daal becomes very soft.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Before taking off the heat, sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with hot steamed rice.
Khud Khao, Sabko Khilao 😀