- 1 ½ litre milk
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Pistachio slivers (for garnishing)
- A few strands of saffron (for garnishing)
- First of all we have to make chenna. Boil milk and when it comes to boil add juice of 1 lemon.
- Milk will start curdling and whey will separate.
- Strain the curdled milk in cheesecloth placed in a strainer.
- Keep a bowl under strainer to collect the whey.
- Don’t throw this whey as it is very nutritious. You can use this to prepare dough or add in gravies.
- The original recipe suggests keeping it aside for 3 hours but as I am an impatient person I waited for only œ an hour till all the whey was drained completely.
- Now you can either blend it in your blender for ½ minute or use your hands to make a fine mixture.
- I used to press these with hands to make sandesh (as you can see in my sandesh with Nutella recipe) which took some time and effort.
- But after reading this recipe I have just started using my blender.
- Much easier and less time consuming.
- Make balls. Number of balls will depend on the size. I got around 15 balls.
- Take a wide bottomed pan.
- Boil water on high heat.
- When it starts boiling add sugar and dissolve it completely.
- Add balls to the water and let it boil covered on high for 5 minutes.
- Balls will be double in size now.
- Turn the flame to medium and let them cook covered for another 15 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add rose water.
- Let it stand for some time to cool down. Serve cold.
- Garnish with pistachio slivers and saffron strands.
Khud Khao, Sabko Khilao 😀